Bulldogs shut-out Carbon Hill in Dog fight

Madison Childress

Senior TreShawn Brown attempts to escape several Carbon Hill defenders.

Georgia Hughes

Georgia Hughes, News Writer

It wasn’t much of a dog fight as Montevallo shut-out the Carbon Hill Bulldogs in their last region game of the season 49-0.  

“Anytime you can get on the road and get a region win is a great week,” head football coach Brandon Wilcox said. “Our kids showed up tonight and played like Bulldogs. We played an 11 man defense and we executed well offensively.”

On the first possession,  senior Zac Oden started off the night with a touchdown run followed by an extra point from senior Diego Martinez.

At the beginning of the second quarter, junior Demetrius Smith charged the quarterback for a 13-yard sack. With the ball back in their possession, sophomore Tyler Olds ran 25 yards to put the Dogs in scoring position. Oden then ran the ball in for the second touchdown of the night. Martinez completed the extra point setting the score 14-0.

With a little over 4 minutes left in the second quarter, senior Treshawn Brown intercepted the ball at the 50-yard line. He then scored from the 10-yard line making the score 21-0.

At the end of the second quarter, Oden ran in the ball for his third touchdown of the night with the Dogs leading 28-0 at halftime.

After halftime, with nine minutes left in the third quarter, Oden completed a pass to junior Daqwan Bryant who ran 60 yards for a touchdown putting the Dogs up 35-0.

A few plays later, freshman Davion Gilbert intercepted the ball at Carbon Hill’s 20-yard line. To top off the third quarter, Brown received a pass to run 20 yards for the sixth touchdown of the night. Martinez sealed the third quarter with an extra point.

Sophomore Jay Sullens finished the night by running 50 yards for a touchdown followed by an extra point from Martinez making the final score 49-0.

Oden completed 19 of 26 passes for 254 yards and 3 touchdowns.  He had 9 rushes for 47 yards and 3 touchdowns.  

Brown ran the ball 7 times for 62 yards and completed 11 catches for 115 yards and 1 touchdown.

Senior Nick Norris led the Dogs defensively with 10 tackles.

“We played a solid game,” Oden said.  “Defense did a great job and offensive found ways to score.”