SPOTLIGHT

Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Back to Article
Back to Article

Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Senior Lacey Hamrick draws back for a pass during the powderpuff championship game.  The seniors lost to the juniors 0-6.

Senior Lacey Hamrick draws back for a pass during the powderpuff championship game. The seniors lost to the juniors 0-6.

Jordynn Thomas and Grace Stermer

Grace Stermer, News Writer

Battle between the grades ensued as the ladies of Montevallo High School competed in Powderpuff Football during Homecoming Week.

Seniors faced off against the sophomore team in the first game of the night. Despite several plays by Sophomore Takila Hill, the seniors took home the first victory, beating their opponent 14-8.

“One of the best things about powderpuff was working together as a team to get the job done,” junior Sydney Selman said.

The junior team played the freshmen in the next game to determine who would battle for the Powderpuff championship. Junior Shamia Smith was a valuable player and assisted in leading the juniors to a victory of 28-6.

“I thought the game went well,” junior Kanan Harbuck said, “The girls played hard; it was a fun game. Y’all watched me stumble on my feet but we still got the ‘dub’ so it doesn’t matter.”

Football players coached the girls for several days leading up to the big game, and they helped the powderpuff teams train and work on plays to succeed and win points for their class.

“The girls worked pretty hard this week and they got the ‘dub’ today,” junior Demetrius Smith said. “They just all came and practiced every day.  Even days that we didn’t have to practice they still came.”

Finally it was time for the game to end it all: the championship between the juniors and seniors. After many unsuccessful plays on both sides, junior Alasha Reed claimed the victory for her class, with a final score of 6-0, juniors.

Despite the friendly competition and rivalry among students, there was undoubtedly a sense of unity throughout the school when all was said and done.

“It’s always worth it when it comes to Powderpuff and putting on the coach Wilcox man bun,” senior Matthew Allen said.

About the Contributors
Grace Stermer, Reporter

Junior Grace Stermer is entering her first year on the newspaper and broadcast teams.  She is member of the Dance Line, Mu Alpha Theta, FEA, Scholar's...

Jordynn Thomas, News Writer/Reporter

Senior Jordynn Thomas is a second year reporter of the WDOG and SPOTLIGHT news teams.  She is captain of the Dance line, a member of the Archery Team,...

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Juniors take home spirit stick in pep rally

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Students go “bananas” at pep rally

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Seniors recognized at last home football game

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Journalism students take New York City

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Auxiliary squad announced for next year

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Students fill shoe boxes with gifts for children around the world

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Students participate in Moundville Indian Festival

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Seniors claim Homecoming class victory

• Student Life

Students to receive Refresh! discount cards

• Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Student Life

Seniors claim spirit stick

The student news site of Montevallo High School
Juniors take home powderpuff victory