Juniors take home powderpuff victory

Senior Lacey Hamrick draws back for a pass during the powderpuff championship game. The seniors lost to the juniors 0-6.

Jordynn Thomas and Grace Stermer

Grace Stermer, News Writer

Battle between the grades ensued as the ladies of Montevallo High School competed in Powderpuff Football during Homecoming Week.

Seniors faced off against the sophomore team in the first game of the night. Despite several plays by Sophomore Takila Hill, the seniors took home the first victory, beating their opponent 14-8.

“One of the best things about powderpuff was working together as a team to get the job done,” junior Sydney Selman said.

The junior team played the freshmen in the next game to determine who would battle for the Powderpuff championship. Junior Shamia Smith was a valuable player and assisted in leading the juniors to a victory of 28-6.

“I thought the game went well,” junior Kanan Harbuck said, “The girls played hard; it was a fun game. Y’all watched me stumble on my feet but we still got the ‘dub’ so it doesn’t matter.”

Football players coached the girls for several days leading up to the big game, and they helped the powderpuff teams train and work on plays to succeed and win points for their class.

“The girls worked pretty hard this week and they got the ‘dub’ today,” junior Demetrius Smith said. “They just all came and practiced every day.  Even days that we didn’t have to practice they still came.”

Finally it was time for the game to end it all: the championship between the juniors and seniors. After many unsuccessful plays on both sides, junior Alasha Reed claimed the victory for her class, with a final score of 6-0, juniors.

Despite the friendly competition and rivalry among students, there was undoubtedly a sense of unity throughout the school when all was said and done.

“It’s always worth it when it comes to Powderpuff and putting on the coach Wilcox man bun,” senior Matthew Allen said.