Art Stalk Comes Back to Main Street

Priya Atchley, Reporter

The Montevallo Art Stalk is back, October 23rd, in Main Street Montevallo. From 11:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M., there will be booths, art, food, and fun activities. Booths will include sculptures, paintings, photography, and art. The Montevallo Art Stalk’s goal on Main Street is to increase business and bring the community together. 

The Art Stalk was the idea of Mayor Hollie Cost, Dee Woodham, and Dr. John W. Stewart III in 2011. Hollie Cost, then a coordinator of service learning at the University of Montevallo, and Dee Woodham wanted to host an arts festival in downtown Montevallo. At the same time, Dr. Stewart was looking for events to keep the university students around Montevallo on the weekends. Then came a collaboration between the city and the university. As Hollie Cost ran for mayor, she shifted the leadership of the committee to Tiffany Bunt, who gained the Montevallo Arts Collaboration, with the mission to preserve the arts in Montevallo. The Art Stalk was held three times a year until it was decided to discontinue two of them and keep the Halloween inspired artwalk. Eventually, after seven years, Bunt shifted her title as coordinator over to Emily Gill, who continues to grow the collaboration of the Art Stalk in Montevallo.

Due to COVID and social distancing restrictions, the Art Stalk did not occur last year, 2020. This year, the Art Stalk is coming back, only taking online payments for booth registration in order to protect the members of City Hall, though there will be an option to pay in person on the day of the art stalk. The Art Stalk is free and open to all ages.