FFA holds annual Farm Day

Mikayla Cardwell

Student from Montevallo Elementary pet a mini pig at Farm Day.

Mikayla Cardwell, News Writer

Future Farmers of America celebrated the thirteenth annual Farm Day, February 27-28 where students from Montevallo Elementary visited the high school to learn the wonders of agriculture.

“Farm Day is a great way for the ag program to give back to the Montevallo community,”  FFA sponsor Blake Ray said.  “The FFA members and the Alumni work really hard to put this event together every year.”

At the event, the students rotated between three stations including a bee demonstration, arts and crafts, and petting zoo.

Members of a bee farm organization conducted a presentation on the contributions the bees in the world make to fruits and flowers. They had the children participate as flowers to demonstrate the pollination process.

“I believe it was a great experience for the MES students to come over to the high school and learn about various animals and the contribution bees make to the world, “ junior Abby Smith said.

At the petting zoo, students were able to feed and pet various animals including goats, chickens, rabbits, ducks, cows, and horses.

“I brought my baby bunny for the petting zoo portion of the event,”  junior Emily Kornegay said.  “The kids enjoyed to getting to hold her.”

Farm Day was opened to public, Saturday, Feb. 28, with a tractor parade through downtown Montevallo, a silent auction to raise money for the ag program and a dog agility course.  

“It was really neat getting to see the different breeds of dogs,”  junior Tristan Johnson said.

“After the dogs went through the agility course then they participated the the fly-ball activity.”