Pierson recognized for years of teaching and coaching

Jayden Givens

Coach Bobby Pierson (r) accepts a plaque from principal Brandon Turner (l) for 34 year of teaching and coaching at MHS.

Maya Zeigler, News Writer

Before the varsity boys’ basketball games against Briarwood Christian, coach Bobby Pierson was recognized for his multiple years of teaching and coaching at MHS, Friday, Feb. 3.

“It was fantastic to see the old players, managers, statisticians, and coworkers,” Pierson said.  “It gave me great joy.  It let me know that the people of Montevallo care about me a little bit and I was very excited to see them all show up.”

Surrounded by his former students, players, and his wife, Pierson accepted a plaque in honor of his successful coaching and teaching career at Montevallo from principal Brandon Turner.

“Coach Pierson has given a lifetime of service to MHS and its students,” Turner said. “We are proud and thankful to give him such a deserving honor for all his accomplishments.”

Pierson graduated from Wetumpka High School in 1975, playing football and track and field. He attended Knoxville College and Alabama State University where he graduated in 1980, playing football and track and field.  He later took classes at both Athens State and the University of Montevallo.  

Pierson has taught and coached at both Evergreen High School, located in South Alabama; and Montevallo High School for 36 years.

“I feel like I have accomplished a lot dealing with young individuals,” Pierson said. “It brings me joy to see those individuals who have gone and been successful in life. Personally, I feel that I had just a little something to do with that.”

Pierson spent 34 of his 36 years at Montevallo, coaching 26 of them. He has coached football, basketball, track, and golf.

“CP has always been a dedicated and loyal member of the MHS family,” former student athlete Tena Niven said. “Some of the things I remember during my high school days is when he let the football team shave his beard when they were in the playoffs. I remember him singing Milk Cow Blues during pep rallies and the great job he did both teaching and coaching basketball my junior and senior years. He only slammed on the brakes once when he was teaching me how to drive.”

Pierson plans to retire after this school year and is currently running for statewide president of the Alabama Education Association.

“If the Lord blesses me with that victory I will work in Montgomery for two years, but if not i’m just gonna go home and fully retire and wait on direct deposits,” Pierson said.