SPOTLIGHT

Students participate in Moundville Indian Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

AP U.S. History students (l-r) Miriam Hernandez, Elizabeth Hughston, Elena Cruz, and Michaela Martin meet with hoop dancer Lyndon Alec, a member of the Alabama-Coushatta Tribe of Texas.

Kanan Harbuck and Madeline Griffin

Kanan Harbuck and Madeline Griffin

Students in AP History U.S. History and the Science Club participated in the Moundville Indian Festival, Wednesday, Oct. 5.

“One of the key things we concentrated on this year at our visit was the view of their culture versus our culture today in preserving the environment for future generations,” Science Club sponsor Brent McCaleb said.  “The viewpoint of native American tribes was the environment was ‘….borrowed from their grandchildren’… whereas, our culture today claims ‘we inherited the environment from our parents’. The difference at first glance is subtle, but after careful examination there is a huge difference in the point of view. Hopefully, we are preparing generations in the future to borrow the environment rather than inherit it.”

During the festival, performers, artists, and craftspeople entertained and educated visitors about the rich heritage of the southeastern natives.

“My heritage is Cherokee, so I have a definite link to the park,” Moundville Park volunteer John Hardin said. “But it’s the people who bring life to the park and the environment here, of course, is undeniable.”

During the day the students participated in several festivities such as face painting and crafts in addition to visiting the Trader’s Circle and Arts Market.  There was also archaeology in action and a Native American stage with dancers, storytellers, and musicians.  Some also enjoyed to the view the Warrior River had to offer.

“We enjoyed seeing the Warrior River and climbing the Chief’s Mound, which is the tallest mound here,” sophomore Maggie Lawley said.

About the Contributors
Kanan Harbuck, Reporter

Senior Kanan Harbuck is a second year reporter for SPOTLIGHT and WDOG.  She plays volleyball and soccer for the Lady Dogs. She is a member of FEA, Diamond...

Madeline Griffin, Reporter

Junior Madeline Griffin  is a first year news writer and reporter for SPOTLIGHT and WDOG.  She plays volleyball for the Lady Dogs.  She is also on the...

• Students participate in Moundville Indian Festival

Student Life

Juniors take home spirit stick in pep rally

Student Life

Students go “bananas” at pep rally

Student Life

Seniors recognized at last home football game

Student Life

Journalism students take New York City

Student Life

Auxiliary squad announced for next year

Student Life

Students fill shoe boxes with gifts for children around the world

Student Life

Seniors claim Homecoming class victory

Student Life

Juniors take home powderpuff victory

• Student Life

Students to receive Refresh! discount cards

Student Life

Seniors claim spirit stick

The student news site of Montevallo High School