SPOTLIGHT

Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Anna Thompson and Wendy Escalante

The Bulldogs suffered their first loss of the season against American Christian Academy, losing 54-70, making their record 4-1.  

“I am proud of our guys for playing all 48 minutes,” coach Brandon Wilcox said. “We played until the finish and backed down from no one! I want to encourage my guys to keep working; we are building something special!”

In two pass plays, American Christian grabbed an early lead of 7-0 in the first quarter.

Montevallo then turned the ball over on downs on their first drive of the night and the Patriots, with a long drive from ACA’s quarterback, ran in from 10 yards out for a 14-0 lead.

Sure enough, ACA came out strong and ready to score, which meant the Bulldogs had to do the same.

The Bulldogs then got the ball and made it to midfield, but a crushing fumble was recovered by the Patriots.

After two first downs, ACA ran the ball into the endzone with yet another touchdown against the Bulldogs. Taking a 21-0 lead.

At half time, the Patriots had a 35-0 lead against the Bulldogs, but the Bulldogs were not giving up.

Montevallo then came out stronger than ever. Junior Deon Gilliland picked up a 90-yard kick return for a touchdown that gave the Dogs a boost of energy. After a failing the two-point conversion, the Dogs trailed 35-6.

On a 5-yard rushing touchdown, the Bulldogs scored, but ACA came back with its sixth touchdown of the night.

American Christian used a lot of new players, but Montevallo never gave up and fought back with two scores making the final score 70-54.

“We played really well,” Gilliland said, “And we’ll come back stronger next week.”

Junior Malik Inabinette ended the game 12 of 29 passes for 249 yards, 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Gilliland led in rushing with 18 for 123 yards, 1 touchdown, and 5 two-point conversions.

About the Contributors
Anna Thompson, News Writer/Reporter

Junior Anna Thompson is a reporter for Montevallo High’s SPOTLIGHT and WDOG. She is a member of FTA, First Priority, and Pep Club. In her spare time, she enjoys traveling, spending time with family, and drinking sweet tea.

Wendy Escalante, News Writer/Reporter

Junior Wendy Escalante is a first year reporter for SPOTLIGHT and WDOG.  Escalante enjoys photography, going to the beach, and singing. She is a member of FBLA and plans to play soccer and run cross country this year.   She foresees college in her future, but is uncertain of her career path.  Escalante is a kind, caring person and always in a happy mood.  She hopes to interact with more students this new school year.

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Bulldogs take down Marbury in dog fight

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Lady Dogs fall in rivalry game

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Dogs remain undefeated after defeating Panthers

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Bulldogs shutout Hornets on road

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Bulldogs take down county foe

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Bulldogs suffer fourth loss

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Volleyball team welcomes new coach

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Dogs defeat BB Comer with 35-12 Homecoming victory

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Dogs suffer first lost of season

• Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Boy’s relay team takes second place at State Track Meet

The student news site of Montevallo High School
Bulldogs suffer first loss of season