SPOTLIGHT

Dogs remain undefeated after defeating Panthers

Junior Deon Gilliland rushes for a touchdown against the Jemison Panthers.  Gilliland ended the game with 197 yards and 3 touchdowns on 19 catches.

Junior Deon Gilliland rushes for a touchdown against the Jemison Panthers. Gilliland ended the game with 197 yards and 3 touchdowns on 19 catches.

Savannah Rogers

Savannah Rogers

Savannah Rogers and Taylor Edwards

The Bulldogs remain undefeated after winning the non-conference game against the Jemison Panthers, after playing them for the first time in fifteen years, 64-41 Friday, Sept. 14.

“I felt like it was one of the longest games ever,” junior JJ Evans said.  “But, we never gave up and we finished out with the win.”

The Bulldogs scored the first three touchdowns of the game with two touchdown runs and 64-yard pass from junior Malik Inabinette to Evans.

Despite the three unanswered touchdowns, the Panthers came back and made their way to the end zone for a 37-yard touchdown run for their first points of the night.

Jemison then intercepted a pass with 5:40 left in the second quarter. Two plays later they scored with an 18-yard run to cut the Bulldogs lead to 21-14.

At the end of the half, the Panthers trailed Montevallo 29-21.

The Dogs were able to score four minutes into the third quarter with Inabinette completing a pass to junior Jemari Harris for a touchdown.  Giving the Dogs a 35-28 lead. Jemison answered with a rushing touchdown and a successful POT.

Montevallo will score one more time in the third quarter making the score 35-28.

Both teams scored in the fourth quarter.  Montevallo had three rushing touchdowns. Two by junior Deon Gilliland and the third by senior Jay Sullens.  Jemison scored two more times leaving the final game score in the Bulldogs favor, 64-41.

Overall Montevallo had 700 yards of offense and was led by Inabinette and Evans.  Inabinette finished with 420 yards and 4 touchdowns with Evans being on the receiving end of 200 of the yards.

Harris also had four catches for 77 yards.

“We played really well,”  Harris said. “It was nice to see the team come together and play a successful game.”   

Gilliland had 197 yards and 3 touchdowns on 19 catches.

The Bulldogs were also successful defensively. Junior Tavicia Tutt racked up with nine tackles and DonAngelo Evans had eight.

“I’m proud of how well the team played tonight,”  Gilliland said. “We are now ready to prepare for one of our toughest games this season.”  

Returning home Montevallo will face their potentially toughest challenger of the season, American Christian Academy who has yet to give up a point through their undefeated season.

About the Contributors
Savannah Rogers, News Writer/Reporter

Junior Savannah Rogers is a first year reporter for WDOG and SPOTLIGHT. She is FTA Secretary and a SGA Representative. Rogers enjoys spending time with friends and watching Netflix.

Taylor Edwards, News Writer/Reporter

Junior Taylor Edwards is a first year reporter for WDOG and SPOTLIGHT. She is in Future Teachers and is a SGA Representative. In her free time she works and is a pro at binge watching shows on Netflix.

• Dogs remain undefeated after defeating Panthers

Sports

Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

Sports

Bulldogs take down Marbury in dog fight

Sports

Lady Dogs fall in rivalry game

Sports

Bulldogs shutout Hornets on road

Sports

Bulldogs take down county foe

Sports

Bulldogs suffer fourth loss

Sports

Volleyball team welcomes new coach

Sports

Dogs defeat BB Comer with 35-12 Homecoming victory

Sports

Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Boy’s relay team takes second place at State Track Meet

The student news site of Montevallo High School