SPOTLIGHT

Dogs defeat BB Comer with 35-12 Homecoming victory

Senior Dalston Grisham kicks an extra point in the game against BB Comer.  The Bulldogs claimed the Homecoming victory with the score, 35-12.

Senior Dalston Grisham kicks an extra point in the game against BB Comer. The Bulldogs claimed the Homecoming victory with the score, 35-12.

Abby Hamer

Abby Hamer

Trudie Benson, News Writer

The Bulldogs became 2-1 after defeating the B.B. Comer Tigers in a 42-12 Homecoming triumph Theron Fisher Stadium, Friday, Sept. 15.

“It was great to finally get to play in front of the home crowd in our packed out stadium,” head coach Brandon Wilcox said. “I was very proud of our guys for bouncing back and winning the game. I was also glad to see so many of our young guys get in and contribute to the victory. Now it is time to get back into region play against Midfield and try to get our first region win.”

To begin the game, junior quarterback Jay Sullens handed the ball to senior Tavarius Holman who made the first touchdown. Senior kicker Dalston Grisham followed with an extra point.

The Tigers soon answered with a touchdown of their own; however, the Bulldogs quickly scored another touchdown to keep the lead, 13-6.

With nearly a minute left in the first quarter, the Tigers answered with another touchdown ending the first quarter with the score, 13-12, Bulldogs..

Montevallo scored 22 unanswered points in the second quarter.  Holman intercepted the ball and scored for the first touchdown, followed by senior Demetrius Smith who completed a two point conversion.

Smith scored another six points for the Bulldogs with the second touchdown, followed by a two-point conversion he also made.

Sullens completed a pass to sophomore Davion Gilbert  for the third touchdown.  Sophomore JJ Evans gained another six points with a fourth touchdown. Grisham followed with an extra point.

Sullens led the Dogs with 2 touchdowns, carrying the ball 11 times for 124 yards. The quarterback completed 8 of 12 passes for 146 yards and 2 touchdowns.

“I think we came out and played hard and executed well on the field,” Sullens said. “This past week was the most focused I have ever seen the team.”

Holman carried the ball 5 times for 73 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Gilbert had 3 catches for 111 yards, completing 1 touchdown. Similarly, Evans had 3 catches but for 28 yards, also completing 1 touchdown.

“We have a great team,” Holman said, “but there is always room for improvement.”

Junior Will Howell led the defense with 10 tackles.

About the Contributors
Trudie Benson, News Writer/Reporter
Senior Trudie Benson is a second year member of Montevallo’s WDOG and SPOTLIGHT. She is captain of the Cheerleading squad and vice president for SGA.  Trudie is also involved in other activities including Student’s Institute, National Honors Society, Big Brothers Big Sisters, and the Youth Leadership Development Program. In her spare time, she is a social butterfly who enjoys...
Abby Hamer, News Writer/Reporter
Senior  Abby Hamer is a second year member of SPOTLIGHT and WDOG. She is involved in FTA, FCCLA, Yearbook, and Pep Club. Hamer loves being with friends and spending her weekends at the lake. Her dream job is to be a radiologist
  • Dogs defeat BB Comer with 35-12 Homecoming victory

Sports

Bulldogs suffer fourth loss

Sports

Volleyball team welcomes new coach

Sports

Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Boy’s relay team takes second place at State Track Meet

Sports

Soccer season kicks off with several wins

Sports

Wrestling team finishes second season strong

Sports

Lady Dogs prepare for first game

Sports

Dogs open up season with 5-game road trip

Sports

Dogs come back from deficit to defeat Choctaws

Sports

Lady Dogs defeat Choctaws in long standing rivalry

The student news site of Montevallo High School