SPOTLIGHT

Dogs suffer first lost of season

Senior Demetrius Smith and sophomore Thaddeus Evans tackle an aggressive ACA offense.

Caroline Landers, News Writer

After winning their first game against West Blocton, the Bulldogs traveled to ACA and suffered their first lost of the season losing 6-51 making their record 1-1.

“Tonight we didn’t play with very much toughness,” head football coach Brandon Wilcox said. “We have to look in the mirror and fix it. I know the makeup of these young men and I believe they will make the corrections that we need to make to give ourselves a chance to be successful in the coming weeks.”

The first play of the night displayed how the entire night would go for the Dogs. With the Bulldogs in possession of the ball, they were unable to do anything with it. Once ACA got the ball, the continually scored on the Bulldogs. Although junior Jay Sullens and senior Tavarius Holman ran the ball a few times they were unable to return the touchdowns ACA was putting on the scoreboard.  By the end of the 3rd quarter, the score is 0-51 ACA.

In the 4th quarter, the Bulldogs were able to put some points on the board after an ACA fumble.  Sophomore Deon Gilliland picked the up the ball and ran it in the end zone, scoring the only touchdown for the Dogs, leaving the final score 6-51.

Sullens had 7 completions out of 12 passing attempts for 36 yards while he had 12 rushes for 89 yards with 1 fumble.

Sophomore JJ Evans had 3 catches for 25 yards while Holman had 2 catches for 25 yards and 4 rushes for 11 yards.

Sophomore Davion Gilbert had 2 rushes for -6 yards and 3 catches for 1 yard.

“I felt that they wanted it more and we came out soft and didn’t do what we were supposed to do,” junior Avery Anfield said. “This loss will not affect the season and we’re gonna come out this week stronger, better.”

About the Writer
Caroline Landers, News Writer/Reporter
Senior Caroline Landers is a second  year news writer and reporter for SPOTLIGHT and WDOG. She plays volleyball and soccer for the Lady Dogs. She is a member of FEA, Big Brother Big Sisters, Mu Alpha Theta, the National Honor Society, and Pep Club. In her free time, she enjoys watching Grey’s Anatomy and any...
  • Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Bulldogs suffer fourth loss

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Volleyball team welcomes new coach

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Dogs defeat BB Comer with 35-12 Homecoming victory

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Boy’s relay team takes second place at State Track Meet

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Soccer season kicks off with several wins

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Wrestling team finishes second season strong

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Lady Dogs prepare for first game

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Dogs open up season with 5-game road trip

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Dogs come back from deficit to defeat Choctaws

• Dogs suffer first lost of season

Sports

Lady Dogs defeat Choctaws in long standing rivalry

The student news site of Montevallo High School
Dogs suffer first lost of season