Dogs open up season with 5-game road trip

Photo furnished

Senior Parker Hamby gets ready on deck during the Chelsea game. The Bulldogs lost 0-6.

Jordan Johnson, Sports Writer

After making it deep into the playoffs, the baseball team of Montevallo has high expectations of their new season. With coach Frankie Perez from Thompson, taking the reigns, the players are getting used to their coach. After having months of workouts, the baseball team had their first real practice, Monday, Jan. 30.

“The kids have done a great job working out and I think that workouts is a key for us in order to be strong enough to go throughout the year,” Perez said.

The Bulldogs have held workouts every day after school leading to the start of practice.

“It has really helped us get our head in the right place and get us focused,” senior Parker Hamby said.

This years team includes seniors Adam Burdett, Parker Hamby, Jackson Hughes, Zack Oden, and Nick Thompson; juniors Daqwan Bryant, Ahmad Edwards, Jonathan Grisham, Taylor Hall, and Demetrius Smith; sophomores Clay Colley, and Jay Sullens; freshmen Josh Mims and Grant Cordes; and eighth grader Jay Dreyer.

“I think we are going to be pretty good and make it to at least the first round of the playoffs,” Senior Nick Thompson said. “We are gonna be very young but we will be alright.”

The junior varsity roster consists of junior Demetrius Smith, sophomores Jay Sullens and Daniel Whitson, freshmen Briley Adams, Jamarius Carter, Grant Cordes, Malik Inabinette, Baxley Shores; and eighth graders Jay Dreyer, Robbie Gilbert, Cody Posey, and Dakota Ross.

The Bulldogs began their season, Monday, Feb. 20 with 5-game road trip.  They lost 0-6 to Homewood at Chelsea.  Today they play Chelsea at Calera High at 4:00 p.m.

Montevallo plays at home for the first time this season Thursday, March 2 against Jemison.