SPOTLIGHT

Bulldogs open season with win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bulldogs open season with win

Junior Daqwan Bryant runs the ball against the Tiger defense.  Bryant later had in a interception for the Bulldogs.

Junior Daqwan Bryant runs the ball against the Tiger defense. Bryant later had in a interception for the Bulldogs.

Madison Childress

Madison Childress

Madison Childress

Adam Jones and Amanda Buttgereit

Adam Jones, News Writer

New head football coach Brandon Wilcox got his first win of the season, 59-34 over the West Blocton Tigers, Friday, Aug. 26.

“I thought for a first game we executed well offensively, and on the defensive side we ran to the ball well for most of the game,” Wilcox said. “We have some things we need to clean up and just continue to get better at but I’m excited to see our leaders step up and help our team continue to grow.  Our coaches did a great job throughout the week of helping us come up with a great game plan.”

The Bulldogs opened up the game with a kickoff return for 67 yards by senior TreShawn Brown. Senior Diego Martinez kicked the extra point for a 7-0 lead.

“When I was running, I thought I just have to score the first play of this game,” Brown said. “I wanted to start this season off with a bang.”

West Blocton quickly answered with a 1 yard touchdown run of their own. With the extra point no good, the Bulldogs kept the lead 7-6.

Senior Caleb Chappell extended the lead over the Tigers with a 1 yard touchdown run after a 59 yard drive.  West Blocton followed the Montevallo score with one of their own cutting the Montevallo lead to 13-12.

During the second quarter, the Bulldogs pulled away from the Tigers with two touchdown passes to junior Ahmad Edwards and a touchdown run by Chappell. Senior quarterback Zac Oden added the 2 point conversion leaving the score, 35-12 at halftime.

Montevallo opened up the third quarter with an interception by junior Daqwan Bryant. Oden used the turnover for a touchdown pass to junior Tavarius Holman for a 30 point lead.

Both teams would score again towards the end of the third quarter leaving the score 49-20.

Freshman Davion Gilbert recovered a fumble early in the fourth quarter for a touchdown putting the Bulldogs up 56-20.

“I was just blocking for Caleb and I saw the ball on the ground,” Gilbert said. “I just grabbed it up and ran with it all the way to the endzone.”

With the Montevallo secondary in, West Blocton scored two touchdowns late in the fourth quarter. Montevallo’s kicker, Martinez, finalized the score for the Bulldogs with a 37 yard field goal with a minute left in the game.

Oden completed 13 of 20 passes for 311 yards and 4 touchdowns.

“Overall, I we played a good game,” Oden said.

Chappell led the Dogs with 16 Rushes for 78 yards and 2 touchdowns. Brown had 3 catches for the Dogs for 1 touchdown.  Edwards had 4 catches for 93 yards and 2 touchdowns.

The Bulldogs will face off against the American Christian Academy, Patriots at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 2 at Theron Fisher Stadium.

About the Contributors
Adam Jones, News Writer/Reporter

Senior Adam Jones is entering his second year as a reporter for SPOTLIGHT and WDOG.  He plays basketball for the Bulldogs and enjoys making memes.  He...

Amanda Buttgereit, News Writer/Reporter

Junior Amanda Buttgereit is a second year member of SPOTLIGHT and WDOG. She is a soccer player involved in many different activities...

Madison Childress, Reporter/Photographer

Senior Madison Childress is a second year reporter for SPOTLIGHT and WDOG. She is involved in Student Institute, Big Brothers Big Sisters, FFA, Pep...

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Bulldogs suffer first loss of season

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Bulldogs take down Marbury in dog fight

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Lady Dogs fall in rivalry game

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Dogs remain undefeated after defeating Panthers

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Bulldogs shutout Hornets on road

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Bulldogs take down county foe

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Bulldogs suffer fourth loss

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Volleyball team welcomes new coach

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Dogs defeat BB Comer with 35-12 Homecoming victory

• Bulldogs open season with win

Sports

Dogs suffer first lost of season

The student news site of Montevallo High School
Bulldogs open season with win