Scholars’ Bowl teams earns wins at county tournament

Photo furnished

The Junior Varsity Scholars’ Bowl team works on question worksheet during the Scholars’ Bowl Competition, Thursday, Feb. 8.

Riley Key, News Writer

Montevallo’s Scholars’ Bowl teams competed against high schools county-wide, Thursday, February 8, at the Shelby County Instructional Services Center.

The varsity team won half of their matches, beating Vincent Middle High School, Calera High School, and Shelby County High School. The team tied with Helena High School, but lost the end of the match to a tie breaker. Grayson Fulmer, a sophomore, got top scorer for MHS on the varsity level, and tied for second in the county.

“I played aggressively, and I feel like playing with that mindset lent to my success more than my actual knowledge of the questions being asked,” Fulmer said.

The junior varsity team earned third place, winning most of their games and losing only to Helena High School and Oak Mountain High School. The junior varsity team captain, William Landers received top scorer for the entire county on the junior varsity level.

“I had a lot of fun at Scholars’ Bowl,” Landers said.  “I was really surprised by how well I performed.”

The MHS Scholars’ Bowl team had been practicing for two days a week since November to prepare for this tournament..

“I thought the students did a great job; it was a fun day overall,” sponsor Anita Glover said. “We came away with some good wins and I’m happy for them.”