Community celebrates Homecoming with parade

Abby Smith

The junior class took first place with their float, Kiss the Tigers Good-bye, in the Homecoming Parade.

Daylan Edwards, News Writer

Parents, community members and students from all three Montevallo schools lined the streets of Montevallo for its annual Homecoming Parade, Thursday, Sept. 14.

“One of things that I’ve always liked about the homecoming parade is the fact that it just brings the community together,” principal Brandon Turner said.  “It has the high school and middle school and elementary school, parents and everybody. So it’s just a great community event.”

The parade kicked off with the Marching Troubadours playing the Louie, Louie.  Groups in the parade included all football players and cheerleaders from youth to varsity, student groups from the University of Montevallo, and FEA.

“It was great to come out and support and be there for the team,” freshman participant Robert Kincaid said.

Homecoming court members also rode in convertibles.  This year’s court included seniors Madison Childress, Alasha Reed, Georgia Hughes, Jordynn Thomas, Sam Dewell and Adam Jones; juniors Elena Cruz, Makenzie Hamby, and Ceanna Grisham; sophomores  Kayleon Lamar, Avery Lawley and Tamyajah Sullens; and freshmen Ella Alexander, Haley Pogue and Tanya Martinez.  

Pageant winners from the 2017 Montevallo Day of Pageants were also in the parade.

Each class also represented themselves with their class float.  The juniors took first place with Kiss the Tigers Goodbye, the seniors second place with Lei Out the Tigers, the sophomores third place with Tie the Tigers and the freshman fourth place with Tuck in the Tigers.