SPOTLIGHT

Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Junior JaBrian Sullens (l) teaches junior Wilson Massey (l-r) and senior Gabe Dutton his dance moves.

Gracie Stone and Kim Garcia

In order to encourage student involvement and rally school spirit, Montevallo High School hosted their first kick-off to Homecoming Dance, Saturday, Sept. 27 in the high school gym.

“We tried to find out date with minimal school activities,” sponsor Jennifer McCaleb said.  “All the Saturdays were booked with band competitions and volleyball tournaments so we decided to go with a Friday night when we did not have a football game.”

Because the event took place before Homecoming,  this year’s homecoming court was announced at the dance.  The freshman court included Anna Kate Deerman, Emily Dutton, and Alexis Langely; the sophomore court included Kali Yancey, Kayce Sankey, and Jayla Starr; the junior court included Sarah Lowery, Abigail Hueton, and Anna Thompson; and the senior court included Ahtziri Chavez, Rebekah Anderson, Abbie Hamer, and Kattie Jones

“I was thankful for the opportunity to be on the homecoming court,” Chavez said. “It was a huge honor and a once in a lifetime experience.”

The dance also included a hula-hoop contest and a dance-off competition. The winners of the hula-hoop contest included sophomore AJ Race and junior Jayden Givens.  Both girls received a $25 gift certificate to Zapopan.

“I was nervous because I was representing the seniors during the contest,” Givens said.  “While I have had their food often, I have never been to Zapopan.  I really wanted to win to have the  opportunity to go.”

Freshman Aaron Tyes won the dance competition and received a $100 cash prize courtesy of Dr. Anderson of Anderson Eye Care.

“Dancing is just what I do,” Tyes said.  “It just comes natural to me.”

DJ New Era from 104.1 The Beat emceed the dance.

“He was dope,” junior Logan McLaurin said. “He did a great job.  I would love to have him back for prom.”

About the Writers
Gracie Stone, News Writer/Reporter

Senior Gracie Stone is a first year member of SPOTLIGHT and WDOG. She is a member of NHS and a senior representative for the SGA. Stone spends most of her time outside of school watching The Office and shopping for clothes she can’t afford. She plans to attend the University of Alabama while majoring in social work.

Kim Garcia, News Writer/Reporter

Sophomore Kimberly Garcia is a first year member of WDOG and SPOTLIGHT.  She is a member of yearbook and is a SGA representative for the sophomore class. She enjoys listening to music, napping, and watching  Sailor Moon.

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

Troubadours showcase half-time show

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Student Life

Students go “bananas” at pep rally

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

Valley Boys make debut

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

Bulldogs greet elementary students

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

Students take classes at the University of Montevallo

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

Lady Dogs progress to Sweet 16

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

FEA organizes Future Falcon Day

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

Hughes signs softball scholarship with UM

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

Program leaves impact on Bigs and Littles

• Dance kicks off Homecoming week

Top Stories

Teachers defeat seniors in Dodgeball

The student news site of Montevallo High School
Dance kicks off Homecoming week