The student news site of Montevallo High School

SPOTLIGHT

Martinez and Harbuck crowned Mr. and Miss Montevallo

Senior Diego Martinez and junior Kanan Harbuck are all smiles after being crowned Mr. and Miss Montevallo at Montevallo's Day of Pageants, Saturday, Feb. 11.

Adam Jones and Amanda Buttgereit

Senior Diego Martinez and junior Kanan Harbuck took home the titles of Mr. and Miss Montevallo, Saturday, Feb. 11 at Montevallo’s 24th annual Day of Pageants.  

“We had a great turnout this year with over 40 girls and boys competing,” pageant sponsor Jennifer McCaleb said.

The event began with the Mini Miss, Little Miss and Young Miss pageants at 3:00 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center.  

The Mini Miss Montevallo pageant included girls from kindergarten and first grades.  Second Alternate was awarded to Hailey Thrash, First Alternate to Jewel McCoy, and and the title of Mini Miss Montevallo to Lillian Kate Buse

The Little Miss Montevallo pageant included girls from second and third grades.  Third Alternate was awarded to London Weeks, Second Alternate to Virginia Kellgren, First Alternate to Kensley Morgan, and the title of Little Miss Montevallo to Skylar Sippola.

The Young Miss Montevallo pageant included girls from fourth and fifth grades.  Third Alternate was awarded to Esmeralda Kemp, Second Alternate to Cheyenne Posey. First Alternate to Tabetha Thomas and the title of Young Miss Montevallo to Erin Dukes.

The Junior Miss Montevallo pageant included girls from sixth through eighth grades.    First alternate was awarded to Olivia Griffin, and the title of Junior Miss Montevallo to Hannah Locks.

The Mr. Montevallo pageant included boys from ninth through twelfth grades.   Second Alternate was awarded to senior Matthew Allen, First Alternate to junior Daqwan Bryant and the title of Mr. Montevallo to senior Diego Martinez.

“It was a crazy day for me because I spent my morning at a college visit at Troy University,” Martinez said.  “When I got back it was straight to the interview and then to the stage. I was surprised as everybody else when I was crowned!”  

The Miss Montevallo pageant included girls from ninth through twelfth grades.  Sophomore Amanda Buttgereit was voted as Miss Congeniality by the pageant contestants.  

“I was really surprised,” Buttgereit said.  “I’m honored the other girls voted for me for the title.”

Third alternate was awarded to sophomore Ahtziri Chavez, Second Alternate to junior Georgia Hughes, First Alternate to Jordynn Thomas, and the title of Miss Montevallo to Kanan Harbuck.

“I was shocked once I had realized they had called out my name,” Harbuck said.  “This was my second year competing as a high school student.  It’s a lot of fun.  I’m honored to carry the title.”

The event is held annually to raise money for Montevallo’s news broadcast, WDOG.

• Martinez and Harbuck crowned Mr. and Miss Montevallo

Top Stories

Students view eclipse on front lawn

Student Life

Journalism students take New York City

Sports

Boy’s relay team takes second place at State Track Meet

Top Stories

FFA holds annual Farm Day

Top Stories

Jackson proclaims unity to Montevallo students

Top Stories

Pierson recognized for years of teaching and coaching

Top Stories

Oden signs with Northeast Mississippi

Top Stories

Battle of the Books team ready for upcoming competition

Top Stories

Student Institute meets to create a new slogan for community

Top Stories

Future educators teach college class at UM