Players recognize most influential teachers

Lauren+Sheehan+and+Jordan+Brantley+%28l-r%29+wear+the+jerseys+they+were+given+for+being+selected+as+Teacher+of+the+Week+at+the+West+Blocton+game.+++

photo furnished

Lauren Sheehan and Jordan Brantley (l-r) wear the jerseys they were given for being selected as “Teacher of the Week” at the West Blocton game.

Dakota Dubose and Lily Stone

Lily Stone, News Writer

Three teachers were selected out of the Montevallo community last Thursday by the football team to be recognized as Teachers of the Week.

“As a football program this is our way of saying ‘thank you’ to all the people who have had a role in helping to develop our kids,” head coach Brandon Wilcox said. “Many times we forget the Elementary, Middle, or even High School teacher, but we want those people to know we not only remember what they have done for us, we appreciate them. Anytime you can give back, even if it is something as small as getting to wear a jersey and getting a few letters, we want to be able to do that.”

The players vote on a elementary, middle and high school teacher who they believe deserves the honor each Thursday.  Teachers are then given cards from the team and a jersey to wear on Friday.

Evelyn Moore, Lauren Sheehan, and Jordan Brantley were selected by the players to receive the award for the first home game.

Moore is a 7th grade English teacher at Montevallo Middle School.

“I was excited and flattered all day,” Moore said.  “I know they are going to do a great job Friday.  I taught most of them and I know they are great athletes.”

Sheehan is a 5th grade teacher at Montevallo Elementary.

“It’s truly an honor to be selected,” Sheehan said.  “It moved me to tears.  I love those boys.  I’m so grateful that I’ve been apart of their education.”

Brantley is a 9th grade World Teacher at Montevallo High.

“I am honored that I was selected and that I have been apart of their education and growth,” Brantley said. “I know they are going to have a great season.”

Next week’s teachers will be surprised on Thursday at their perspective schools.

“We try and think of teachers who have had the biggest impact in our lives,” junior KO Brown said,  “whether it be in the classroom or on the court or field.”