Seniors attend College Fair at UM

Seniors in Shelby County visit with representatives from colleges from the southeast.

Karla Diaz and Danielle Douglas

Karla Diaz, News Writer

Seniors from Montevallo and throughout Shelby County visited a College Fair hosted by the University of Montevallo, Monday, Oct. 3.

“The University of Montevallo makes this event available exclusively to Shelby County students and I hope that students realize how valuable of a resource it is,” guidance counselor Cheryl Allen said. “For many students, this is the only college fair they are exposed to.”

Over thirty universities from Alabama and other local states were represented, including the University of Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn University, and South Alabama.

“We have an incredible community environment at the University of Mobile,” University of Mobile representative Elijah Gibson said.

Montevallo graduate Kirsten Cunningham was also in attendance as a recruiter for the University of West Alabama.

“At the University of West Alabama, students can great education for a great price as well,” Cunningham said.  “It’s a great place for students who are used to a small town and school like Montevallo High.  They are able to transition very well to UWA.”

After visiting the fair many seniors were able to confirm their college decision.

“I’m interested in Jeff State because it cheaper and has a great nursing program,” senior Nyla Boothe said.

While some plan to stay close, others plan to move further away.

“I would like to go the University of Mobile because I really love the campus life and it’s really pretty there,” senior Emri Hannah said.