Soccer season kicks off with several wins

Mikayla Cardwell

Sophomore Uriel Alvarado faces off against defensive player Heriberto Casildo during soccer practice.

Mikayla Cardwell, News Writer

With several wins under their belt, both the boys and girls soccer teams continue to improve as the season progresses.

Coach Tena Niven’s boys are currently 5-4 for the season and 2-0 in the area.  

The team is working really hard and we are getting better every day,” Niven said.

At the beginning of the season, the boys placed second at the Townsend Classic in Tuscaloosa.  

“The Classic was a great win for us,” sophomore Mark Gallegos said.  “Hopefully we can continue to succeed and maybe even get into the playoffs.”

This year’s boys team includes seniors Dalton Harris, Remi Hernandez, and Jose Alvarado; juniors Jason OCampo, Mark Gallegos, Hugo Ponce, and Chris Perez; sophomores Jack Diaz, Juan Martinez, Uriel Alvarado, and Jose Salazar; and freshmen Heriberto Casildo, Danilo Hernandez, and Axel Magallanes

The girls team under the direction of new coach, Jacob Cooley are currently 2-2.  

So far the season has gone really well and I think that we have a lot of great things ahead of us,” Cooley said. “We have many returning players who provide experience and leadership while our new players are quick, enthusiastic learners. At this point, we have already won more games than all of last year and we still have 12 games left. We have a great team and I’m excited to see where the season takes us.”

The girls will play their first area game tomorrow night against the Prattville, Panthers at home.

“I think we have great chance of winning,” junior Lithzi Jimenez said.  “We have a great defense that’s going to keep them from scoring.”

This year’s girls team includes seniors Dakota Dubose, Mykailah Thompson, and Ana Ayala; juniors Kanan Harbuck, Madison Childress, Hayley Seay, Salena Brown, Maria Cantero, and Lithzi Jimenez; sophomores Amanda Buttgereit, Rebekah Anderson, Estefania Becerra, Caroline Landers, Hannah Mayhan, and Lizzie Norberto; and freshmen Tiana Kennedy and Asia Prentice