Lady Dogs earn back to back wins Senior Night

Maya Zeigler, News Writer

After a loss against Isabella Tuesday, Sept. 20, the Lady Dogs played an area match recognizing Cancer Awareness against Indian Springs, Thursday, Sept. 22.

After a long fought four sets, the Lady Dogs fell short, 1-3. In the first set, Indian Springs took the win, 25-22. The Lady Dogs made a comeback in the second set with a win of 25-18. Montevallo fell short in the third set with the score of 25-11. In the fourth and final set, Indian Springs took the win 25-15.

Sophomore TeKay Hill led the team with 13 kills.  Senior Lacey Hamrick led the team with 12 digs.

“I like the way we came together and became such great teammates,” Hamrick said.

The Lady Dogs played the Jemison Panthers on the road, Tuesday, Sept. 26. After four sets, the Lady Dawgs fell short, 1-3. In the first set, Montevallo won 25-21.   The Lady Dogs fell behind in the second set losing, 16-25.  They were unable to make a comeback in the third set losing 13-25.  The Lady Dogs put up a good fight in the fourth set, but still fell short losing by two points, 23-25.  Hamrick led the team with a total of 22 serves.  Junior Kanan Harbuck followed behind with 17 serves.

“I believe we should have taken a win against Jemison,” sophomore Ahtziri Chavez said.  “There are mistakes on our end that we need to improve on.”

The next day, the Lady Dogs returned home for Senior Night against Bibb County and West Minister at Oak Mountain. The Lady Dogs began Senior Night with a win over West Minister, 2-0. The first set was a breeze as Lady Dogs took the win, 25-14. West Minister attempted to make a comeback in the second match, but fell short to the Lady Dogs, 25-21.

Junior Georgia Hughes led the team with 18 serves.  Hill followed behind of 10 serves.

“We came out looking for a win,” Hughes said.  “Although we beat them in two games,  there are still some things we can improve upon.”

The Lady Dogs then took on the Bibb County Choctaws, winning back to back matches, 2-0. In the first set, Montevallo won 25-22 and the second 25-19. Hill led the team with a total of 7 kills.

“I was happy to lead the team with kills,” Hill said.  “I would like to continue to do that for more wins.”